Boulogne, 31 December 2018
TF1 GROUP 2018 AUDIENCE RATINGS:
A YEAR OF SUCCESSFUL TRANSFORMATION IN A HIGHLY COMPETITIVE MARKET
The TF1 group’s multi-channel strategy and editorial transformation are paying off, with the group increasing its leadership in all the key target audiences. Its growth is even more striking among younger audiences, demonstrating an ability to deploy offers that are adapted to every audience…
- 32.6% share of W<50PDM (+0.3 pt), a lead over its nearest rival that has widened by over 10%
- 29.3% share of 25-49 year-olds (+0.1 pt)
- 33.8% share of 15-24 year-olds (+1.1 pt)
- 30.3% share of 15-34 year-olds (+1.3 pt)
- 26.9% share of ABC1s (+0.6 pt)
… and every viewing habit, as shown by the growth in the group’s digital audiences on the MYTF1 platform: 1.432 billion videos viewed in 2018, +9% in a year.
The highlights of the year illustrate strong editorial ambitions: to offer the strongest exposure to the best content and talents, to provide excellent coverage of major news events and sport, and to create and innovate on all the group’s channels.
The TF1 channel had its best year since 2015 and achieved the strongest growth of any channel among W<50PDM, also increasing its share among the public generally. It posted its best TOP 100 performance since 2015, including the year’s largest audience (the World Cup Final, 19.4m).
The transformation of the news offering propelled growth for the TF1 channel’s news programmes. It has also accelerated LCI’s growth since the start of the autumn season, strengthening LCI’s position as no.2 news channel as it ended the year with a record month on a 1.5% audience share.
TMC became the no.1 DTT channel and continued to gather speed, with the successful revival of Burger Quiz with Alain Chabat, and the inexorable rise of the Quotidien news magazine.
The group successfully repositioned TFX (now the no.2 DTT channel for 15-24 year-olds) and TF1 Séries Films (which recorded the second highest growth in TV for W<50PDM).
Gilles Pelisson, Group Chairman & CEO, says: “By mobilising all the Group’s talents, we have shown that television is unrivalled in its ability to generate the sharing of emotions and values. The TF1 group has distinguished itself by achieving audience growth that validates its multi-channel strategy, and through its strong ambitions in content. We have shown that we can be bold, and a major partner in the cultural sphere. 2018 was also an important year for the Group as we signed new distribution agreements with the five French operator-distributors to create a new model that shares the value generated by our content more fairly. Many thanks to the public for their loyalty, and all our staff, talents and partners for the phenomenal work they have done this year.”.”
 Women under 50 purchasing decision-makers
 Sources: eStat Médiamétrie – AT Internet - Orange
DETAIL BY CHANNEL
TF1 RENFORCE SA POSITION DE LEADER : 20.2% DE PDA (+0.2 PT),22.5% SUR LES FRDA (+0.4PT- PLUS FORTE PROGRESSION DE LA TV)LA CHAINE TF1 REALISE SA MEILLEURE ANNEE SUR CIBLE FEM.RDA-50 DEPUIS 2015
TF1 détient 91 des 100 meilleures audiences de l’année (meilleure performance depuis 2015) : et la 1ère avec la Finale de la Coupe du Monde (19.4m tvsp). La meilleure audience dans chacun des genres de programmes : Divertissement (Les Enfoirés 10.2m tvsp), Information (Déclaration d’Emmanuel Macron 9.7m tvsp), Fiction FR (Jacqueline Sauvage 8.8m), Cinéma (Qu’est-ce qu’on a fait au bon Dieu ? 8.5m), Série étrangère (Good Doctor 7.9m).
- World Cup: in addition to broadcasting the matches, TF1 carried a range of tie-ins, including a rerun of the legendary France 98 match (5.8m), the Gilles Bouleau special on the day of the French team’s homecoming (8.4m), and the documentary Les Bleus 2018 au cœur de l’épopée russe (7.5m) two days after their victory. The final of the European Women’s Handball tournament also attracted a very large audience of 5.4m, peaking at 8.1m. TF1 had 42 of the best 50 sport audiences this year.
- Market-leading news on a revamped set: Unrivalled leader, both in the lunchtime news slot (with up to 7.5m viewers) and for the evening bulletin (up to 9.2m, and 9.7m for the address by Emmanuel Macron). The 14 July special attracted 3.5m, and the weather forecast up to 8.0m. Further success for the magazine programmes, with up to 4.7m viewers for Sept à Huit and 5.3m for Reportages.
The year was marked by the launch of the news programme 20H Le Mag, a market leader with up to 5.9m viewers, and the creation of a new documentary offering linked to must-see drama (4.7m for the documentary Jacqueline Sauvage victime ou coupable?)
15 TF1 news programmes drew more than 7.0m viewers in 2018 (vs. 2 for all competitors combined). TF1 scored 48 of the best 50 news audiences this year.
- US series: TF1 broadcast the landmark US series Good Doctor (up to 7.9m) and started the unmissable adaptation of La Vérité sur l’Affaire Harry Québert (up to 6.7m), based on the novel by Joël Dicker. The big US franchises Lethal Weapon (“L’Arme fatale”), Grey’s Anatomy and Criminal Minds (“Esprits Criminels”) held up very well, especially among target audiences. TF1 had 49 of the year’s best 50 foreign series audiences.
- Must-see French social drama, bolstered by star-studded casting (Muriel Robin, Olivier Marchal, Tomer Sisley, Emmanuelle Seigner, Melvil Poupaud, Michaël Youn, etc): (Jacqueline Sauvage, 8.8m; Le jour où j’ai brûlé mon cœur, 7.2m; Les bracelets rouges, 6.8m; etc). Ambitious, bold new series (Les Innocents, 7.1m; Traqués, 7.0m; Insoupçonnable, 5.9m), and a new series hero in Balthazar (7.5m), ran alongside established franchises that turned in very fine performances (Joséphine/Camping Paradis crossover, 7.5m; Section de Recherche, 6.8m, etc). TF1 drama showed very strong growth among targets (+2pts on W<50PDM and +1pt on 25-49 year-olds) and achieved 42 of the genre’s top 50 audiences this year.
- Demain nous appartient: Reinforced leadership in access prime time among individuals aged 4+ and W<50PDM, rising continuously to hit new records at the end of the year, with up to 4.5m viewers and +0.3m in 1 year. The show is a great fit with the multi-channel strategy, averaging more than 500,000 catch-up viewers.
- Light entertainment: TF1 was the only channel to get any light entertainment programmes in the TOP 100. In addition to Les Enfoirés (10.2m), the no.2 and no.3 light entertainment shows this year were C’est Canteloup (7.6m) and Miss France (7.3m), followed by The Voice (7.1m). Danse avec les Stars had an excellent season, achieving year-on-year growth, especially among targets: 33% share of W<50PDM (+4pt). Likewise for Koh Lanta, with up to 5.9m viewers. Les 12 coups de midi had a record year (3.3m viewers and an average 34% audience share). TF1 had 43 of the year’s 50 best audiences in unscripted.
- CinéDimanche, France’s biggest movie-house. French comedies co-produced by TF1 proved a hit with audiences: Qu’est-ce qu’on a fait au bon Dieu ? (8.7m, the year’s best TV audience for a movie); Les Tuche (7.7m); Rien à déclarer (7.1m); and Retour chez ma mère (6.8m). TF1 took all of the top 30 ratings for movies on TV, and was the only channel to get any movies into the TOP100.
The channel’s flagship shows also topped the time-shift ratings, providing 5 of the top 10 time-shift ratings of 2018 including the top two:
- Good Doctor: up to 1.4m additional viewers in 7 days
- La Vérité sur l’Affaire Harry Québert: up to 1.2m
- Le jour où j’ai brûlé mon cœur: 1.0m
- Jacqueline Sauvage c’était lui ou moi: 0.9m
- Balthazar: up to 0.9m
TMC BECOMES No.1 DTT CHANNEL WITH 3.0% AUDIENCE SHARE
AND POSTS THE YEAR’S BIGGEST DTT AUDIENCE
TMC achieved 24 of the top 50 DTT audiences.
- The year’s biggest DTT audience was for the soccer friendly between France and Colombia (4.7m). The semi-final of the European Women’s Handball Championship also scored very highly (1.4m).
- The revival of Burger Quiz with Alain Chabat was a winner, attracting very high audiences every week and peaking at 2.3m.
- Quotidien enjoyed its best-ever autumn season (up to 1.8m: nearly 30 episodes pulled in over 1.5m viewers), while new faces made prime-time breakthroughs (0.9m for Martin Weill’s documentary on the “New Gurus”).
- The movie offer is the most popular on DTT, including the best audience for Jurassic World (1.8m). And 38 movies had over 1m viewers, including Le Transporteur 2 (1.6m), the Harry Potter franchise (1.5m) and Salt (1.4m).
LCI FRANCE’S No.2 NEWS CHANNEL, ENDS 2018 WITH A RECORD DECEMBER
- From January to December LCI grew audiences by 171%, taking its share from 0.6% to 1.5%, making it the fastest-growing channel this year.
- The channel hit an all-time high with La grande explication, presented by David Pujadas (nearly 1m).
- Pascale de la Tour du Pin’s La matinale breakfast show: 111,000 viewers and 3.5% audience share in December, peaking at 141,000 viewers.
- Very strong momentum since the start of the autumn season for the new morning shows: L’heure de Bachelot (148,000 viewers and 4.1% share in December) and Audrey&Co (150,000 viewers and 3.5% share in December).
- LCI is taking off in the 4pm-8pm slot with Perriscope (133,000 viewers and 1.7% share in December), Le débat LCI (190,000 viewers and 1.9% share in December) and 24H Pujadas (316,000 viewers and 1.9% share in December), and also in the 10pm-midnight slot (239,000 viewers and 1.5% share in December).
- At weekends, En toute franchise peaked at 280,000 viewers and 1.4% share on Sunday 9 December.
- Longer formats performed well: Macron le dynamiteur (188,000 viewers, 1.2% share), Johnny la guerre en héritage (up to 140,000 viewers, 1.0% share) and Nordahl Lelandais (up to 121,000 viewers).
TFX BECOMES 3RD MOST-WATCHED DTT CHANNEL AMONG W<50PDM
AND CONFIRMS ITS No.2 RANKING AMONG 15-24 YEAR-OLDS
- A generational movie gave TFX its biggest audience of the year (Le jour de gloire: 1.3m, Bienvenue à Marly-Gomont : 1.2m), followed by the Germany/Netherlands Nations League football match, which ranked second (1.2m).
- The gypsy wedding documentary Ces incroyables mariages gitans (1m) and the emergency services series Appels d’urgence (0.9m) proved highly successful.
- Access prime time reality TV also performed well: La Villa des cœurs brisés averaged 0.6m viewers with a 7% share of W<50PDM and 11% of 15-24 year-olds.
- The offer was extended to include new factuals designed to attract target audiences: Tattoo Cover (5% share of W<50PDM, 9% of 15-24 year-olds) and the all-new Beauty Match hosted by Lufy (7% of W<50PDM, 13% of 15-24 year-olds).
TF1 SERIES FILMS
TF1 SERIES FILMS: 2ND FASTEST GROWTH AMONG W<50PDM THIS YEAR
- The triptych of movies, French drama and American series gained traction, delivering balanced growth for the channel among female viewers.
- TF1 Séries Films is the most-watched HD DTT channel among W<50PDM since the start of the 2018 autumn season.
- TF1 Séries Films posted the best audience ratings of any HD DTT channel, with 18 of the year’s top 20 and all the top 4.
- The channel carried the most popular HD DTT movie offering with the Lethal Weapon (“L’arme fatale”) movie franchise, attracting the year’s best viewing figures for an HD DTT channel (up to 1.2m).
- Audiences for the unencrypted first run of the American series The Handmaid’s Tale (“La servante écarlate”) also peaked at 1.2m, an all-time high for an American series on HD DTT.
- French dramas sourced from TF1 also did well: Le mec de la tombe d’à côté (0.9m viewers) and Section de Recherches (0.8m viewers).
Médiamétrie – Médiamat
(1) eStat Médiamétrie – AT Internet - Orange